Sunday, November 29, 2009

Enjoyment

As a pastor, I'm not usually sitting home on Sunday mornings. However, I was very ill yesterday and today I was still recovering, so I found myself at home.

I was alone, because Cheryl and Cullen headed off to church. So I decided to spend time in private worship which, I admit, was very refreshing. Instead of preaching to others today, the Lord had a different plan: that I would spend some time enjoying Him. And that's what I was able to do.

Here's what I read:

"You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound." (Psalm 4:7)

Did you catch that? What a great verse!

In my younger years, I wanted so badly to be "used by God." Yes, I wanted to know him (Philippians 3), but I had a strong desire to accomplish something for him. There's a whole lot of selfish ambition in that, isn't there?

But lately my prayer, more often than not, has been to simply enjoy the Lord. I know that if I enjoy the Lord everything else falls into place. This is my prayer for myself and for my family.

Also, our accomplishments (or perceptions of them) don't sustain us in the challenging times. Only the joy of the Lord has the power to overwhelm the anxieties and trials of life--not that life becomes a breeze, but we have a place of solitude in our heart when all else fails.

Lord, please lead me to enjoy you more, and to enjoy you most.

"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" (John 7:38)

No comments: