Sunday, December 6, 2009

On the subject of good bread.

Recently I was reading in my new favorite book on food, some restaurant reviews by Jeffrey Steingarten. He was reviewing a restaurant in New York City, and he was disappointed with the bread. Not only was the bread bad, but it was a special let down because as he said, New York is known for having the best bread east of San Fransisco.

My first reaction when I read that? "Oh No!! I was just IN San Fransisco, and I didn't eat the bread!" Its true. This last summer Aubrey and I spent a day and a half tooling around San Fransisco. And sure, we took the expected touristy stroll through the San Fransisco Sourdough factory. But I didn't buy any. Don't blame me, I didn't know. I didn't have Jeffrey Steingarten with me to tell me I was in the presence of the greatest bread outside of New York City. I needed someone to tell me, to exhort me, this is good bread!

This is what the book of Hebrews does for Jesus. Hebrews is not a letter, per se, like so many of the books in the New Testament. Rather Hebrews is a sermon, a 13 chapter "word of exhortation," (Heb 13:22) exhorting us not to miss out on the exceedingly great value of Jesus Christ. After all, Jesus is better than the prophets. Jesus is better than the angels. Jesus is better than Moses, better than Joshua, better than the Aaronic priesthood. Don't miss out on Jesus!

And so our church's Christmas sermons this year are coming from Hebrews. A little unconventional, but utterly appropriate. We need to hear these words of exhortation. Seek Jesus while he may be found. Seek to know this one who is the radiance of the glory of God. Seek to listen to this one who declared the word of salvation. Seek to worship this one who is crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death. Seek to serve this one who is faithful overs God's house as a son.

Let no one leave our churches and say they didn't know they were in the presence of the greatest savior! "But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin" (Heb 3:13).

No comments: