Sunday, December 13, 2009

Two Questions, Part One: A Question.

When I was a young guy out in California, I attended a big church and had lots of friends. When I'd get together with a friend one of the questions first questions I'd ask, to get past small talk and to more fruitful fellowship, was, "What's the Lord showing you?"

It seems to me that if we are in a relationship with God, praying, and reading our Bibles, we should have some consciousness of something God is teaching us. Most times, this question opened up the door to interesting conversation. Nevertheless, there were some who struggled to answer this question.

In fact, when I started hanging out in Reformed circles (and now I'm a pastor at a Reformed church) I gained new friends. Friends who didn't like to answer this question. And I can understand that sometimes we have no idea what God is doing in our lives. But it seems that more often than not, since we are His children, there should be something we can identify as a message He's trying to get across to us - concerning trust, prayer, worship, faith, dealing with a unique challenge or a challenging person.

Secretly, I harbor the belief that if we have too much trouble answering this question... we have probably become too theoretical in what is supposed to be a relationship with the living God. But hey, I'm flexible. I understand that the question might not come across the right way to everyone. That's why I have a new question that I ask, and that question will be the subject of my next post.

But for now, I'd like to ask you: What is God showing you? What is something he's teaching you right now?

No comments: